Friday 19 March 2010

Worst day so far.

Today has been crap!
After just half an hours sleep I get a call I was not expecting saying my Gran had died =( 
She'd been in hospital for a few days so I suppose it shouldn't have been as such a shock as it was. I guess you just always think of your grandparents as indestructible. I have found out she died of pneumonia. She had this about a month a go and they thought they had cleared it all up. The worst thing she wasn't even in hospital for that she was in for a blood infection. Its my grandad I feel sorry for. This year would have been their 60th wedding anniversary. And I know this is going to sound so selfish but I never thought my Gran wouldn't be at my wedding. As mentioned on my post yesterday my Mum & Sister had gone to Southend to see her. They were lucky they went when they did. This leaves me and my little sister in a sort of limbo, kind of unable to process it as we aren't amongst all the stress and worry and emotions in Southend and not really being able to let it sink in.
As soon as we heard our first thoughts were to our granddad and then to the other family we have down here in Surrey. My cousin's who only live 5 minutes down the road, whoes dad is my mums brother. To our family over in Ireland who have to organize flights and childcare. And to how everyone is going to cope with our lose. My gran Joan was like a "mafia figure". Her or my granddad walked into a room and you immediately cleared a space for them to sit down, granted they are in their 80's. 
My first move apart from tell my sister and get dressed was to call my other cousins too see what the plan was. We ended up going to Tesco and spending £20.58 on Bacon, Bread, Sausages, Milk, Eggs, Pringles, Galaxy Chocolate and a variety pack of cereal ( only the essentials) and then onto my cousins house where me & my cousin Clare cooked everyone a friend breakfast and sat on the sofa all day watching movies, mucking about and generally having as good a time as we could given the circumstances.
I have had a total of 1 hours sleep in 33hours at this point and how I am still functioning I am not quite sure. Even in the state I am now I am still concentrating on my sugar levels. Probably not a priority but its keeping me from loosing it.
 I can't wait to go to bed & wake up tomorrow starting a different day. With the help & support of my friends and family I know I can get through this as can the rest of my family but its going to be tough.

1 comment: