Monday 26 April 2010

How do you do it?




How do you cope with Diabetes? 
How do you cope with daily injections, testing,hypos,hypers?
How is your care? 
Do you think your care has a lot to do with how you cope?



I was thinking, and yes this is dangerous, how are everyone's coping measures different? I'm sure they are.

For me, I have to remember why I'm doing my injections and testing my blood and for me the short term reason is, I want to have kids. My care team was crap, well actually beyond crap. I was made to feel guilty at every appointment, was never told helpful information, was made to feel like I wasn't worth seeing and was just causing problems. I was diagnosed 2 years to the day after my twin and was expected to know everything, when in fact I knew nothing and its only thanks to DiabetesSupport that I know what I know now and my control is so much better.
I never cared what my levels were before. All my team told me was scare stories I ignored because they ignored me. I wish I hadn't ignored my diabetes but I also wish I was given the care I deserved and needed. 

I have my first appointment at my new clinic the Cedar Centre on the 4th May and I can't wait. I am hoping they will actually listen to what I have to say and what I want from my care and life. I hope they will help me get a pump and help me sort my levels out and general health out so I can start trying for a baby. I have to start writing a list of question I want answered, but I'm not sure where to start really. I've never had a team that listens so not used to having questions to ask! I'm hoping this will mark the start of my future.

How do you stories differ from mine?

I have just watched this video http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/information/dlife_media/tv/story_of_insulin/video_story_of_insulin.html and I'm in awe. It is amazing they way diabetes medications have progressed and it really makes me think how lucking we are to live the way we do. It is hard to live with diabetes and harder when you don't have the support from your team but with the help of other diabetic you can gain control.





Image found athttp://www.fi.edu/learn/heart/healthy/images/large_glucose-insulin-supplies.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Hi Louise, just a general comment. We love reading your blog about how you live and manage diabetes. We get great info from our local NHS people, and DUK, and books annd websites, but there's no substitute for hearing other people's real life experiences. So thanks for sharing, it helps us loads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Thanks =) Its really nice to know people are reading it and that it helps people =) x

    ReplyDelete