Thursday 6 May 2010

Type 1 or Type 2

I have finally been told what type I am. I am Type 2!

After many years of not knowing it is good to finally have an identity, so to speak. I felt a bit of a fraud before, what with knowing I have diabetes but not which type. I was in a sort of limbo. I am not sure if it is good news or bad news. I'm going to go with its good because now I have experience living with type 1 and type 2.

When I was first diagnosed the doctors never told me what type I had. After a few months they said I was type 2, I was put on metformin and told to control it with diet and exercise but was never actually told what this meant, (I was 15 at diagnosis). Then after another few months and a different doctor, I was told I was possibly type 1, then another few months and another doctor after my other clinic closed, "Oh no your not type 1, your type 2 MODY".... Ermm ok, That means what?? Well according to my doctor it meant, Mature Onset Diabetes in the Young. Then after another move in clinics and another doctor and another diagnosis. I bet your all thinking "Why didn't someone test for the antibodies in your blood". Well..... I did have a test once, but when it got to the lab it got mucked up. So that's why it was never in black & white. But finally it is!!! I am definitely a TYPE 2!!

I know the difference diet and exercise make and also the difference insulin & other medication make. All types of diabetes are hard to live with and involve alot daily and I want to offer my support to anyone who wants it.

My hba1c is at 6.6% so I must be doing something right now!

I am going to go back on metformin and still take insulin.


I am pleased to say I have lived as a type 1 & type 2 so I hope I can help people living with type 1 and type 2 in the future. It doesn't matter if you are type 1, type 2, and any other types in between you should never feel like a fake/fraud diabetic. You are a very welcome, valued member of the diabetic family, no questions asked and no exceptions!

No comments:

Post a Comment