Monday 10 May 2010

Well what can I say...

The party was a great success!! I got a little drunk, which for those who know me  will know that is unheard of as I don't normally drink at all. It was great having my family and friends meeting Alan's family. There were people I haven't seen in nearly 2 years that came on Saturday!


The music was great, the people were fantastic and I haven't had a better birthday! We even got told by the steward of the bar that our guests "were the most polite, pleasant people they have ever had at a 21st". They are really wary about doing 21st parties where we held ours because of the reputation that everyone will be very drunk and very rowdy. So I am very happy with that comment =)


I decided to pretty much ignore my diabetes that night and only test it a few times. It was high when I tested but I wasn't too worried because of the alcohol. I didn't want to over correct and then go really low. But the worst part of ot was waking up on Sunday with levels of 11.6mmol/L!!!!! I decided to take 3 units then wait till after breakfast to take some more. Had breakfast and took 5 units with that to bolus for it, then played the waiting game.


We went to a family christening on Sunday and while in there I started to feel really odd so sneaked out to test my bloods which had risen to 14.9mmol/L !! Panic!!! I took a further 4 units of Novarapid and went and joined the rest of the congregation. It was another 2 hours before I got the chance to test again. And thankfully they were at 7.3mmol/L.

I personally feel that if I had stayed glued to my insulin or meter all night at the party I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. I had a great night and didn't let diabetes control my life for one night. I'm now back in my usual routine of test, inject eat,  exercise, test, eat, inject, etc etc etc

Everyone needs to let their hair down once in a while and enjoy life!

Pictures are on facebook if you are a friend of mine on there x

No comments:

Post a Comment